FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 168 of 193 FirstFirst ... 68 118 158 166 167 168 169 170 178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1671
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Ran the car and checked the timing.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  2. #1672
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Here is a video of the car running.
    Now that I know I have low dopamine and struggle with anxiety and depression I try to always be observing and analyzing my thoughts and action. This event was a perfect example. I felt excitement but also had anxiety as we lowered the car and prepared to run it. While it was running...Joy and excitement.
    Sending the video of it running to my buddies, fun and exciting, some anxiety.
    The real problem was after I got home. All these thoughts raced through my head-
    I never heard the cooling fans come on.
    Why did the coolant temperature never get above 100? It seemed like it was running quite a while.
    Is there an air pocket in the engine or a stuck thermostat and I just cooked the engine?
    Why was the engine smoking so much? Did the piston rings not seat right? Am I running it wrong for the rings to seat in?
    What if one cylinder was getting too much fuel? What if one cylinder was getting no fuel?
    Why did the car go into high idle and wouldn't come down after we revved it up.
    Why does it seem difficult to get the car in reverse? Is the linkage not set right or just lack of experience?

    Ugh....I am by now means saying this is a PD problem only. I am sure many people struggle with thier thoughts.
    I am going to let it go and check and adjust more things on another day.
    Here is a video of it running.

    https://youtube.com/shorts/70bmkbM6u...ENe_sK6uwHPuhc

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  3. #1673
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,604

    My VIN:    03572

    When I was doing my rest pressure testing, my car took 12 to 13 minuets of idle to when the thermostat would open. Know that by feeling the coolant hose going to the otterstat. My gauge had climbed to almost the 1/4 mark. The fans would not come on.

    This was done with 45 deg F temps. In the summer those times are much shorter. So if your temps are lower, expect even longer times. Your temp gauge does seem to have a problem though.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  4. #1674
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    When I was doing my rest pressure testing, my car took 12 to 13 minuets of idle to when the thermostat would open. Know that by feeling the coolant hose going to the otterstat. My gauge had climbed to almost the 1/4 mark. The fans would not come on.

    This was done with 45 deg F temps. In the summer those times are much shorter. So if your temps are lower, expect even longer times. Your temp gauge does seem to have a problem though.
    Yeah i have a digital temperature probe strapped to the pipe next to the otterstat. I think it only got up to 80 degrees.
    Yeah the car has been sitting in a 50 degree warehouse so it could be that it just took that long to warm up.
    So one thing that I need to troubleshoot is after the car had been running for a while at a that low idle I revved the engine several times and held the throttle 1/2 open like 15 seconds and the idle would come down after that. I unplugged the cold start valve and the idle motor to see if that would change anything but it didn't.

    I need to break out the service manual and refamililarize myself with all of this K-jet stuff.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  5. #1675
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2022

    Posts:    146

    My VIN:    7012

    Regarding the carpet... I am sure you'll do well with it. As a fellow NERD, I look forward to seeing it in person someday. And I promise you, you will have a laugh at my locked compartment and how badly I gouged that up when trying to install the carpet there.

    Regarding the anxiety... it is the nature of these cars I think. For 19 years I had a Toyota Corolla and never once thought about it not starting. But with the DeLorean, I have had a couple of wiring issues in the past that went away ~immediately and I don't know why/how and now every single time I go for a drive, I debate whether I should avoid stops because the car might not start up again.

  6. #1676
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    Regarding the carpet... I am sure you'll do well with it. As a fellow NERD, I look forward to seeing it in person someday. And I promise you, you will have a laugh at my locked compartment and how badly I gouged that up when trying to install the carpet there.

    Regarding the anxiety... it is the nature of these cars I think. For 19 years I had a Toyota Corolla and never once thought about it not starting. But with the DeLorean, I have had a couple of wiring issues in the past that went away ~immediately and I don't know why/how and now every single time I go for a drive, I debate whether I should avoid stops because the car might not start up again.
    I ended up talking to James Espey and also to DMCH tech. Support.
    It made me feel better to hear that this is the carpeting kit that they use in house on their "high end builds"
    They gave me some pointers for installing the carpet in the back areas and shaping around corners. I think I will be okay.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  7. #1677
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I recently realized that I should have installed adjustable links (either top or bottom) on the rear suspension.


    Normally this wouldn't be required but because I lowered the car some the rear camber should be adjusted.
    I am going to proceed with doing the shop alignment and add the camber adjustment later. If memory serves I only lowered it 1" so it shouldn't be too bad.
    I thought I remembered seeing somewhere online, a "kit" where you could cut your stock links, weld in the threaded inserts, and make your own adjustable links. Am I just imagining this?? The pre-made ones are expensive and I am trying to stop spending so much money on this car.

    Another question. Are these rivets factory? Should I drill them out and put larger rivets in?




    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  8. #1678
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Last night I ran the car again. I adjusted the CO so it isn't running so rich. I let the engine run long enough so that the temp came up.
    It came up to 200, no fans, radiator cold, otterstat pipe not hot, rubber hose coming off thermostat slightly warm. Temperature on guage in the car kept rising. I eventually ended up shutting off the car. Nothing in the coolant system seemed to get hot. Hose exiting thermostat housing was just starting to get warm, hot.

    Thoughts??

    Stuck thermostat?

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  9. #1679
    DMC Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2016

    Location:  SW FL

    Posts:    1,096

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    Not sure about the rivets but I would bolt the roof box anyhow. I used Dgo bolt kit and Lexel sealant around the gaps. Also used Lexel for the door support hardware. Great stuff.
    roof box bolts.jpgIMG_5111.jpg
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

  10. #1680
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,604

    My VIN:    03572

    Your water pump is not working or thermostat is not opening. I remember one owner had a defective new water pump where they forgot to machine a hole where the water should flow.

    Remove the thermostat and retest. You then should feel the otterstat pipe instantly start heating.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 168 of 193 FirstFirst ... 68 118 158 166 167 168 169 170 178 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •