FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 173 of 193 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1721
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  San Francisco Bay Area, Calif.

    Posts:    2,234

    My VIN:    0934

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Informative photo there

    You are running some expensive diagnostics. Get a handheld IR thermometer for future use before you run it again. Useful to isolate cylinder issues or variations since you are running headers vs stock exh manifolds. Also might save the other cat.

    Seeing not only that you had a toasty cat, but also had only 2 of the 3 exhaust pipes were red hot. Big hint there.

    Did any pipes on right bank also glow red?

    Yes, do pull all of the plugs for inspection. The ones in the red cylinders might look different. And the inspection may show which cylinders, if any, are burning oil.

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    It was once again idling high (2k to 3k RPM). It was starting to get dark out and I noticed something red. The exhaust headers and left cat was glowing red.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

  2. #1722
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    If that was just idling, I think there?s something wrong. I will say that I have seen pipes glow red like that after the engine was working hard. You won?t see it unless you have dim lighting conditions. Any chance your cat is plugged? Or the muffler?

  3. #1723
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    If that was just idling, I think there?s something wrong. I will say that I have seen pipes glow red like that after the engine was working hard. You won?t see it unless you have dim lighting conditions. Any chance your cat is plugged? Or the muffler?
    High idle...idling at 2k to 2500 RPM.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  4. #1724
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  San Francisco Bay Area, Calif.

    Posts:    2,234

    My VIN:    0934

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    There's still a big hint in that photo.

    #4 cylinder's exhaust isn't overheating - the shiny one behind the two red ones
    #5 and #6 are overheating
    the cat at the left of photo is also glowing softly
    (no data on cylinders #1-3 or the right side cat)

    Why would this be? How are two of those cylinders running differently from their mate? And did you look at the right bank's exhausts?

    Number, pull and inspect all 6 plugs to start with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    If that was just idling, I think there?s something wrong. I will say that I have seen pipes glow red like that after the engine was working hard. You won?t see it unless you have dim lighting conditions. Any chance your cat is plugged? Or the muffler?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

  5. #1725
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's still a big hint in that photo.

    #4 cylinder's exhaust isn't overheating - the shiny one behind the two red ones
    #5 and #6 are overheating
    the cat at the left of photo is also glowing softly
    (no data on cylinders #1-3 or the right side cat)

    Why would this be? How are two of those cylinders running differently from their mate? And did you look at the right bank's exhausts?

    Number, pull and inspect all 6 plugs to start with.
    Yeah i am going to pull the plugs.
    I have a hunch that this is what is happening-
    1. The engine is running too rich
    2. Some ports of the FD are feeding more than others
    3. I think that the piston inside the FD is sometimes getting stuck and not dropping down onto the roller thus creating a rich condition.

    We have decided to bite the bullet and just send the other FD out for a rebuild, testing, calibration. I packaged it up and sent it to DMCH today.
    We also recently ordered the full roof panel kit from DMCH.
    The roof panel kit is expensive to start with but then when you check out you are charged a $50.00 core charge and the shipping came to $118. All said and done $818.90 FD rebuild, another $600something. Ugh...
    If I think too much about the time and money we have spent on this car it makes me feel ill. We probably could have done a year long trip around the world!

    Oh well..as a former president of the US once said "We've got to stay the course"


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 02-10-2026 at 07:15 PM.

  6. #1726
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    I?ve always heard when a diesel runs rich, it runs hot. A gas engine is the opposite. So the hot cylinders may be running lean.

  7. #1727
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  Illinois

    Posts:    2,514

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    Hot cylinders are running lean, not rich. Since there only a few holes doing this, I think you are on the right path looking into fueling. If all 6 are doing this, it can still be fuel , but also ignition timing.

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 / Porsche 6spd 522 whp

  8. #1728
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    New parts from DMCH showed up Friday.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  9. #1729
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    An interesting FYI, when I bought the roof panels it showed the price w/o shipping. I knew it would be more for shipping obviously. I gave them my C.C. to secure the roof panels kit.
    The total was quite a bit + $119 for shipping and I was surprised to see a $50 core charge as well. So in the end it was over $800.00.

    Core charge was for these two clips.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  10. #1730
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I am having second thoughts about not replacing the roof box for the following reasons:
    1. We already own a stainless steel roof box kit.
    2. Fixing up the inside of our existing roof box through the little opening on top, with the doors in the way, is going to be a job in itself
    3. I am haunted with the ghost of "While you're in there". We already have the following removed from the car: roof panels, carpets, center console, all door gaskets, T-panel, rear finishing panel. And I need to adjust the torsion rods. So it would make sense if the roof box on this car was ever going to get replaced to do it now.
    4. Josh from D-Ind just posted a picture of a roof box install. Power of suggestion.

    I mentioned it to Tam. She said "Do we own a roof box?" I said "Yeah". She said "How much did we pay for that?" "Uh like $1300."
    She said "Well if we paid for it why aren't we using it!?"
    Good question. I said "Well I figured we could replace it at some point in the future,...or sell it I suppose." She didn't say anything.
    I am thinking we are just going to go for it.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 02-14-2026 at 09:41 AM.

Page 173 of 193 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •