FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 189 of 193 FirstFirst ... 89 139 179 187 188 189 190 191 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1881
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We cleaned up the inside of the facia, replaced one of the new splay nuts because it didn't splay out but rather inward.

    We installed the rear facia. Easy typed than done.
    It took us forever to figure out which way the reinforcement angle iron bar went in there.
    I don't know what if anything that we did wrong but OMG what a nightmare trying to install the rear facia especially the last part to get the studs over the holes in the closing plate! We were death gripping the facia and pulling as hard as we could trying to get it to go. At one point I resorted to punching the facia to drive it that last 1/2" into place. Yikes!

    We installed the new black screws we bought from DMCH. They didn't seem to be quite long enough but we kept pushing as hard as we could trying to get them to thread into the clip nuts. Some caught just enough to hold but others wouldn't. Frustrating.
    We installed the tailpipes and called it a night.

    Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk

  2. #1882
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I stopped by a local hardware store that has every type of fastener you can think of. Sure enough they had the exact same black screws in various lengths.


    After work I installed the slightly longer screws. Ahhh....perfect...


    Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk

  3. #1883
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    These screws on the end are a tight fit to get in if the closing plate is already installed.


    Next I tried to close the gap between the rear quarter panels and the rear facia. I thought for sure that if I tightened the angle brackets to the pontoons in the full forward position, when i tightened the bolts through the closing plate, it would pull the facia up tight against the rear quarters. That didn't really happen. It moved some but didn't suck up nice and tight. I loosened the nuts inside the the closing plate and body checked the facia as I tightened the nuts back down. Better....I will mess around with this some more In The Future!

    This is a picture showing how I wedged it out while tightening the bolt in the pontoon. Then I removed the wedges and tightened the through-bolts.


    Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 05-09-2026 at 09:25 AM.

  4. #1884
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Thursday after work I installed the license plate lights, plate mount, taillights, etc.
    What a lousy design on these license plate lights. The quality is like that of a McDonald's happy meal toy. Installing them is fun when your hands don't work right. Trying to hold the plate centered even though you can't actually see it, while trying to also line up the light housing, and get the screws to start straight into the plate.
    Got it done.

    I got out the taillights, cleaned them up, used Restore to Black on them, removed the bulb boards to clean and inspect.
    Grady boards! Never noticed this before now. Cool. I am a sucker for the Dayron sequence light boards though so I will be changing to those at some point.

    Next I got out my D-Go license plate bezel screw kit. 12 black S.S. screws, 12 rubber washers, and 12 black washers. I put anti-seize on the screws. I plugged in the light boards and started installing screws.
    The first screw just barely reached but worked. It was a struggle from here on out. Most of the screws wouldn't quite reach the splay nuts. I tried this and tried that. I ended up removing the rubber washers from most of the screws which made them long enough to get them started. Some screws had to be installed with no washers at all.


    Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk

  5. #1885
    DMC Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2016

    Location:  SW FL

    Posts:    1,096

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    If want some great license plate lights I can send you a set of the ones I use. Vastly superior to OE and same hole spacing to screw into retainer plates. I used foam tape to hold my stainless retainers to the fascia to assist when installing the screws.
    led plate lamp (1).jpgled plate lamp (2).jpg
    I also ditched the OE license plate bezel and went with DGo 3D printed unit that secures from inside the fascia. I love it.
    P.S. I love the Drayon boards!
    Last edited by Timeless; 05-09-2026 at 09:58 AM.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

  6. #1886
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Finished product.


    It's nice to be at this point of this looooong project.
    License plate bezel screws barely reached as well. So I have a theory of why these screws were all too short for us. When I prepped the rear facia before the body shop I tried to reshape the facia where the splay nuts were located. Most owners have not done this so these areas of their rear facia are raised from the screws pulling on them for 45 years.

    I turned on the lights to see the lights work. Nothing. Turn signals. Nothing. Reverse. Nothing.
    That's fun. Rookie move. I should have tested the taillights before I installed them.


    Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk

  7. #1887
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    If want some great license plate lights I can send you a set of the ones I use. Vastly superior to OE and same hole spacing to screw into retainer plates.
    led plate lamp (1).jpgled plate lamp (2).jpg
    I also ditched the OE license plate bezel and went with DGo 3D printed unit that secures from inside the fascia. I love it.
    P.S. I love the Drayon boards!
    Yeah I would be interested in that.
    Also BTW I can't see pictures that anyone posts but me. Not sure why. Only happens on the app not on my desktop.


    Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk

  8. #1888
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I brought the car outside to get some sun. I was reminded of just how badly pitted the windshield is.
    I don't think I am going to be able to put off replacing the windshield.


    Funny story. The car started running like crap, stalling, not wanting to start. I was like "Oh great more issues with the engine not running right" Then I remembered this happening before and it was just because there wasn't enough gas in the car. So I dumped a gallon of gas in. Car fired right up and ran fine. Lol

    Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk

  9. #1889
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I messaged Toby at DNW again and asked for an update on trying to get a windshield shipped. He has been really busy so not much has been done other than him acquiring a windshield box from a local Safelite location. He said the windshield is a "tight fit". Hmmm..

    I also posted on my Facebook page looking for anyone traveling from Illinois or near there that could stop into DMW and pick up a windshield for us if we paid them. So far no volunteers.
    Anyone got any brilliant ideas to get a un-crated windshield from DMW or DNW to Maine (or even New England) undamaged for less than $400+$650 for the windshield?

    We looked into one or both of us going out there and getting it ourselves. We could use our CC points to fly out there, rent a SUV that the windshield would fit in, stay overnight, then drive back.
    We just can't make the numbers work. It still ends up costing over $1000. And it is more driving through boring areas than either of us want to do.

    Now, if we had a good reason to go to Illinois that would make it worth it but we really don't.

    Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 05-09-2026 at 10:20 AM.

  10. #1890
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,540

    Can they not just ship with insurance?

Page 189 of 193 FirstFirst ... 89 139 179 187 188 189 190 191 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •