FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Just when I was starting to take my carburetor for granted I have noticed several threads with issues related to fuel delivery. Man I love my little Motorcraft 2100.

    It is so nice to not have all the K-Jet issues. The purists can say what they want but DMCTalk is proof.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    How about owners trying to get an EFI conversion to work -- talk about a barrel of monkeys.

    Say whatever you want about a carb conversion -- the engine does start (and continues to run) on the very first key turn.

    Have you noticed the double standard: whenever an EFI converter gets discouraged and contemplates giving up, Forum members come out of the woodwork with encouragement to keep trying. Whenever a carb converter mentions that his car started on the first key turn, Forum members tell him to shut up (or worse -- remember the carb thread on the old site, especially around Page 50...).

    As long as I have a bowl full of fuel and air moving through my venturis (and only through my venturis), I have fuel delivery. It is physically impossible for my fuel/air mixture to get out of whack unless I change jets. "Reliable" and "trouble free" are totally inadequate to describe what's going on behind me.

    I drive the ever living crap out of #5939 without doing anything more than change its oil (I am OCD about oil changes). I don't even wash the poor thing. I just jump in, turn the key, and go. Logged nearly 10,000 miles last year alone. Some K-Jet Boo Boo is going to jump in and say "so did I" -- I really don't give a damn. At least I can change Spark Plug #4 (in seconds, thank you very much).

    I've got a few other irons in my fire at the moment, but hopefully next week I can finish Danny's and Jim's conversions. I'll definitely post pictures of Danny's -- an early model 2100 adapted to a Peugeot 604 manifold (I still have James Wallen's Peugeot manifold, so I'll be able to test drive Danny's installation). The throttle cable bracket still needs to be designed and fabbed. Most likely it will hang off the back of the carburetor itself because a Peugeot 604 manifold doesn't have any suitable mounting points (if you remember Del Silveira's installation, he mounted his throttle cable bracket to the passenger side head).

    Anyone care to place bets whether or not Danny's and Jim's conversions will work on the very first key turn?

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Last edited by content22207; 06-16-2011 at 09:32 PM.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    How are things working out with the green manifold? I've been wondering if you have put it on your other car yet.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    #2508 is still in pieces all over my house and back yard. It will be a while before that manifold is put into service.

    My hope is to have #2508 on the road in time for DMA FF'11.

    I did have my machine shop fill a void in the carb adapter that will be created when I turn the manifold around (PO's were using it with the vacuum ports towards the front). I modify the passenger side port to hold my throttle cable bracket, so I need it in the back (HVAC/brake booster barb needs to be back there too). The adapter welded to that manifold is footprinted for a Motorcraft 2100 already, which is terribly convenient.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    The adapter welded to that manifold is footprinted for a Motorcraft 2100 already, which is terribly convenient.
    It also supports the argument that the Motorcraft 2100 is a commonly used carburetor with far better support than Kjet.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    The 2100 was Ford's front line 2 barrel carburetor (for engines above 170 cubic inches) for more than a quarter century. AMC and Chrysler also used it. It remained in new vehicle production through 1991 (Jeep Grand Cherokee).

    A claim was made on the old site that K-Jet is better known and supported than the 2100. That is beyond laughable. The number of Mustangs alone still running around with 2100's under their hoods has to be in the hundreds of thousands, if not close to a million (8.5 million Mustangs were built through 1985, of course not all of them 2 barrel). Don't forget F100/150's, other vintage Fords, pre-emission Jeeps, AMC V8's, etc. I recently looked under the hood of a 370 equipped 1987 school bus -- guess what I found sitting on top....

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  7. #67
    Junior Member joebob101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Oklahoma

    Posts:    20

    My VIN:    6158 Automatic Grey Interior

    Love my 2100

    I'm still sorting out some automatic kick-down issues, but the 2100 has completely changed my outlook on my D. I want to drive the car, but was afraid that the K-jet would leave me stranded somewhere (and it did frequently). That's not a worry with the 2100. It starts and runs perfectly every time. Thanks for all your work, Bill. I'm really enjoying my car now that it's reliable. Garen Martens

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    The important thing to understand about putting a 2100 on a DeLorean is that the 2100 was thoroughly vetted through more than a quarter century of use. We are doing absolutely no original engineering as far as the carburetor itself is concerned (remember that Ford used the 2100 as original equipment on its 2.8 liter V6's). An owner can simply bolt one on (suitably sized and jetted of course) and expect known operational characteristics, engine health itself permitting. I'm not saying carburetion in general is good or bad -- only that a 2100 in particular will produce predictable results.

    Re: full throttle kickdown: first & foremost ensure your microswitch is working via a continuity check. It's a cheap switch that does go bad. The plunger on the switch I use for test fitting tends to get stuck inside and not spring back out.

    If the switch is OK, make sure your throttle arm is closing it at full throttle. Holes in the bracket are oblong so you can adjust it front to back.

    The switch closes a ground -- make sure the black wire from it has continuity to the block.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Last edited by content22207; 06-20-2011 at 09:36 AM.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Just because a 2100 is basically guaranteed to always work properly (no vaccum leaks elsewhere), do *NOT* assume that fuel delivery itself is assured. There are two trouble spots elsewhere in the system that can, and often do, fail:
    1) If you are using factory pump wiring, you are every bit as dependent upon the RPM relay and inertia switch as a K-Jetter. RPM relays are notorious for failure, especially after prolonged use. I've also seen several melted inertia switches, including my own. Any failure in the pump electrical circuit will allow the bowl to run dry and the engine will stop.
    2) Airtex has had QC issues. I lost a pump to bearing failure at DMA FFT'09 (the poor thing jumped around like a Mexican jumping bean, but moved almost no fuel). Users of my fuel pump carrier are not beholden to Airtex pumps -- any pump that fits inside can be substituted, or a length of hose can be run from it to a pump mounted elsewhere.

    It is possible to limp a carbureted DeLorean to a safe haven in case of pump failure by filling the bowl manually. I carry a tiny funnel and an empty Coke bottle for such purpose, and as stated at DMA FFT'09 I had to do just that. In a worst case scenario you can dip fuel directly out of the tank. Each bowl full will get you 1/2-3/4 miles, terrain and speed depending. Fill the bowl through one of the vent chimneys. Be careful not to overfill it or you will flood the intake and lose precious distance rev'ing the engine to clear out excess fuel.

    The longest distance I have ever limped a car is approximately 10 miles. In that instance I was able to rig up a Coke bottle to gravity feed the carb so refills were nearly a mile apart (I could only run the Coke bottle halfway down before fuel level dropped below the neck):
    LincolnManualCarbFill.jpg
    This was a high compression 460, which only gets 8-10 MPG in the best of circumstances. A similar arrangement on a DeLorean might yield up to 2 miles between refills.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Last edited by content22207; 06-20-2011 at 10:39 AM.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Ashyukun's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Lexington, KY

    Posts:    242

    My VIN:    16655

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Wait -- when did Ashyukun carburete? And how do you pronounce Ashyukun anyway?

    Farrar
    Sorry, didn't see this until I went back hunting to see what I could safely ditch from my ECU compartment while I'm working in there (need to hunt down the picture of Bill's compartment, though a keep/remove list wouldn't hurt :P).

    16655 has actually never run in my possession with anything other than the carb, and I've never regretted it at all. I'm firmly convinced there's no way it would have made it to DCS last year on time if I'd been trying to get the K-Jet running for as long as the car had sat and how much of a disaster the fuel tank was.

    It's technically pronounced Ash-you-coon. Back something in the vicinity of 15 years ago or more when I was in college first had to start coming up with a username for sites as the internet became more prominent, my nickname (as there were several 'Bob's) was Ash (due to my love of Army of Darkness). However, due to the popularity of ANOTHER 'Ash' from Pokemon, there wasn't anyplace that 'Ash' was available as a username. As most of the sites I was at the time signing up on were in one way or another related to anime (Japanese animation), I used what I knew of the language to 'romanize' the name- any words that end in a consonant besides 'N' usually get a 'u' added to the end (the 'yu' makes it a bit more pronouncable... yeah, doesn't matter in application, but made sense at the time...) , and '-kun' is a common-usage honorific. I've just stuck with using it ever since as it's not something I've ever seen anyone else use...

Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •