FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 82 of 111 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 1102

Thread: Farrar's car blog

  1. #811
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    First coat of Rustoleum is on the passenger seat hardware. This Rustoleum is fantastic stuff -- I brushed on a fairly thin layer and as it dries I can see the brush-strokes vanishing. Won't help the bubly texture of the rusted metal underneath, though.

    For preparation, I hit the rust with my Dremel's little wire brush, then sandpaper, then Acetone, then a vacuum cleaner to make sure the surface was super clean and there weren't any little bits hiding in the nooks and crannies. I have to wait 24 hours between coats, which means the earliest the next coat can go on is 7pm tomorrow. I plan to do a coat a night every night this week that I can, which means three to five, then re-install the seats next Saturday.

    I bought some posterboard to start making templates for my custom console, and a remote keyless entry system which consists of two remotes and a control module. I will start testing that as soon as I am able, since I have only 30 days to return it if it doesn't suit my needs.

    First coat is dry. Looks good so far!

    SANY0107.jpg
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  2. #812
    "Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Hill Country, TX

    Posts:    1,579

    My VIN:    Formerly 2329

    Farrar, it's time....... save your pennies and come over to the "light" side: EFI. Ditch that old fashioned carb and find salvation.................
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

  3. #813
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Farrar, it's time....... save your pennies and come over to the "light" side: EFI. Ditch that old fashioned carb and find salvation.................
    I would love to, but at the moment I am working on the lock module/ remote keyless entry/ starter interrupt, fixing the seat bottoms, replacing the wood and carpet, replacing the evaporator...

    BTW, here's my lock module. I finally got it open!

    SANY0109.jpg

    From what I understand, I am to replace the two innermost/topmost resistors with 10k ones, correct?

    Later that same evening

    Remote Keyless Entry installation is in progress. I had to call it quits for the night, but I am hoping to get back to it later this week. It will be difficult working on this, the console, and the seats all at the same time. I hope I can keep my head on straight.

    And then there's the wood panel -- that will have to wait until this weekend at the earliest, as I do not have a shop at my disposal.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  4. #814
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Second coat of Rustoleum went on the passenger seat hardware tonight. As someone pointed out in another thread, it's nice using oil-based enamel -- if you have to wait two days between coats, no problem. Fume control while painting is being handled excellently by the bathroom vent fan. Makes me think it will be easier to fabricate small fiberglass parts than I originally thought -- no need for an outdoor workshop if I can just cover the bathroom in protective plastic and turn on the fan before I work.

    Also made a tiny bit of progress on the RKE installation tonight, before I had to get back to my homework. The RKE module includes a way to send a ten-second signal to the parking lights when the "unlock" button is pressed. I added a relay to give my car this functionality. This makes a total of four relays -- one for the lock signal, one for the unlock signal, one for the starter kill, and one for the parking lights. There's also a "trunk pop" option which involves -- you guessed it -- another relay! (Obviously I am not using this since I don't have a trunk actuator -- yet.) I don't know where the manufacturer of this system expects folks to get all of this extra space for relays. Modern cars always seem to have everything crammed into as little space as possible. For my installation, I plan on getting a project enclosure from Radio Shack, cutting the appropriate holes in it, and mounting it inside the driver's cubby hole for easy access.

    The great thing about this system is that every pulse it sends is negative. I was concerned with having to install diodes everywhere, but since all I have to do is make connections to ground, and most everything on the car is switched ground anyway, it's not as much of a fuss as I thought it would be.

    Anyway, here's where I am with that:

    SANY0114.jpg

    You can see that, as usual, I am labeling the relay sockets. And just for fun, I used some of the old relay sockets that I removed from the car a little while ago.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  5. #815
    Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Omaha, NE

    Posts:    1,755

    My VIN:    loading, please wait...

    ...and if having two people (sean & dermot) with similar avatars isnt confusing enough, enter Farrar.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

  6. #816
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    ...and if having two people (sean & dermot) with similar avatars isnt confusing enough, enter Farrar.
    He just couldn't refrain from the awesome any longer
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  7. #817
    Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Omaha, NE

    Posts:    1,755

    My VIN:    loading, please wait...

    clearly--i guess ill just have to keep calm...
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

  8. #818
    Senior Member ccurzio's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Atlanta-ish

    Posts:    2,225

    My VIN:    5311

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Just made this. It's a quick-fix.


  9. #819
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Just made this. It's a quick-fix.
    Nice!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  10. #820
    Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Omaha, NE

    Posts:    1,755

    My VIN:    loading, please wait...

    haha, love it.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Page 82 of 111 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •