FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Question about which keys do what

  1. #11
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Hi Dave,

    Since none of my four keys seem to be able to turn the lock on the cubby (the two new keys, neither the two original keys), what do you recommend?
    Do you care if it really locks? You can take the lock apart and remove the pins. Then it will turn and latch with the key. But it will turn and latch with anybody else's key too.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  2. #12
    DeLorean owner since 2011
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Syracuse, UT

    Posts:    638

    My VIN:    2087

    Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    It is written under your drivers side headliner (careful with this though, as the keys/locks may have been changed at some point, invalidating this number), or you can send a hi-res picture of your key to James at DMCH and he can decode it.
    That's great. I was just going to ask what to do if the keys had been changed out at some point. I know that the locks are new on the door, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ignition key had changed some time in its life. I guess since I have the original keys, I could do a quick test and see if I can use them on the car. That would seem really strange if I could start the car with the original keys, but not open the cubby door with the original keys though...

  3. #13
    DeLorean owner since 2011
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Syracuse, UT

    Posts:    638

    My VIN:    2087

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Do you care if it really locks? You can take the lock apart and remove the pins. Then it will turn and latch with the key. But it will turn and latch with anybody else's key too.
    That's a great idea. I do not care if it really locks one bit. It is just sitting in there loose right now because I don't have a key that can lock/unlock it properly. I just want to be able to secure the lock in there and open and close it without the lock falling out. I'll see if I can dismantle it tonight and remove the pins. Thanks for the tip Dave.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,819

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    It is handy to have something that locks. The glove box doesn't. When I go to shows I lock all of my small stuff up in there so none of it goes missing. Pinning a cylinder is not a big deal and should not cost much if you remove it from the car and give him a key to pin it to. you do not have to buy one. I have not seen many locking gas caps. The one I remember had it's own key. I guess it was aftermarket. Well, if you have the ski rack you would have a 3 key system!
    David Teitelbaum




    Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    That's a great idea. I do not care if it really locks one bit. It is just sitting in there loose right now because I don't have a key that can lock/unlock it properly. I just want to be able to secure the lock in there and open and close it without the lock falling out. I'll see if I can dismantle it tonight and remove the pins. Thanks for the tip Dave.

  5. #15
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Do you care if it really locks? You can take the lock apart and remove the pins. Then it will turn and latch with the key. But it will turn and latch with anybody else's key too.
    +1
    That's what I was going to do but got lucky and noticed that I could get away with swapping them around except for one IIRC.

    ========

    S, I hope you never have a dead battery...in the launcher or your D!
    Last edited by Ron; 07-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member ramblinmike's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Alton, IL

    Posts:    302

    My VIN:    00910

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    So does everyone elses.
    I didn't know why there was a reference to a 3-key system. That's all!

    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

  7. #17
    DeLorean owner since 2011
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Syracuse, UT

    Posts:    638

    My VIN:    2087

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is handy to have something that locks. The glove box doesn't. When I go to shows I lock all of my small stuff up in there so none of it goes missing. Pinning a cylinder is not a big deal and should not cost much if you remove it from the car and give him a key to pin it to. you do not have to buy one. I have not seen many locking gas caps. The one I remember had it's own key. I guess it was aftermarket. Well, if you have the ski rack you would have a 3 key system!
    David Teitelbaum
    I just put things I want secured at shows in the trunk. Not many people know how to open that, at least that is what I'm betting my lawn chairs and hot wheels cars on

    My cubby is full of electronics, like the brains to the DVD player and the car alarm, so I wouldn't really use it for anything besides that anyway. I just don't like the lock being loose so that I can open it. I'd prefer to have a dummy lock that doesn't fall out when I pry open the cubby door.

  8. #18
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    I didn't know why there was a reference to a 3-key system. That's all!

    LOL...I was going to say my cubby key fit the gas cap until I saw your post...but for...well you know

  9. #19
    DeLorean owner since 2011
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Syracuse, UT

    Posts:    638

    My VIN:    2087

    I tried out the original DeLorean key set that was in the box of parts that came with the car and the key did turn the ignition. I didn't test the door key because the original key looked really beat up. But since none of the keys I have would open the lock on the cubby door, I took the lock apart and took out all of the pins so that any key can now open it. This is ideal for me because all I wanted to do was be able to secure the lock in place instead of having it loose. I did not care to have a functioning lock. Mission accomplished.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •