Location: Sacramento-ish
Posts: 4,408
My VIN: 02100
Club(s): (NCDMC) (DCUK)
Jon
1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
restoration log, March 2011 to present
full and detailed photo restoration log
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Location: Syracuse, UT
Posts: 638
My VIN: 2087
Isn't the LED brake light technically a modification and not a maintenance item? I vote that you don't include it in the final cost. I just might start my own poll.
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Location: Atlanta OTP GA
Posts: 7,085
My VIN: 2743
Club(s): (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)
Is it not insurance that you won't be rear ended?
Dermot
VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320
I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans
http://www.will-to-live.org
No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Total expenses to date: $911.2132 Miles Driven: 9,403
Expense #1 (Radiator Leak) - January 7, 2012 - 44,079 Miles - Total Cost: $117.83 (including tax)
Expense #2 (Radiator Leak) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $7.40 (including tax)
Expense #3 (Replaced windshield wipers) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $17.54 (including tax)
Expense #4 (Oil Change) - January 21, 2012 - 44,643 Miles - Total Cost: $24.4616 (including tax)
Expense #4 (Reinstalled steering column bushing) - January 22, 2012 - 44,693 - Total Cost: $1.35 (including tax)
Expense #5 (bought coolant and water) - February 20, 2012 - 45,000 - Total Cost: $11.88 (including tax)
Expense #6 (replaced rear interior light) - February 23, 2012 - 45,500 - Total Cost: $31 (no tax and free shipping courtesy of Farrar)
Expense #7 (replaced heater control valve) - March 4, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: $10.39 (including tax)
Expense #8 (bought more coolant/water) - March 7, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: 23.65 (including tax)
Expense #9 (glued rear view mirror to windshield) - March 16, 2012 - 45,772 - Total Cost: $1.57
Expense #10 (604 Manifold and Shipping to Captain Carburetor) - March 22, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $179.65
Expense #11 (7mm Helicoil Kit) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $49.25 (including tax)
Expense #12 (throttle cable) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $4.20ish (I lost my receipt)
Expense #13 (new wire connector) - April 14, 2012 - 46,123 - Total Cost: $0.25ish (part was laying around)
Expense/Deduction #14 (removed 604 manifold/carb) - April 15th, 2012 - 46,200 - Total Cost: -$179.65 (selling it)
Expense #15 (installed new crimp on throttle cable) - April 16th, 2012 - 46,220 - Total Cost : $1.51 (including tax)
Expense #16 (alignment) - April 21, 2012 - 46,700 - Total Cost: Free (I have a lifetime alignment plan)
Expense #17 (reinforced black lip of binnacle with black screw) - April 21, 2012 - 46,725 - Total Cost: $2.32 (including tax)
Expense # 18 (installed adjustable alternator bracket) - April 24, 2012 - 46,873 - Total Cost: $55.90 (including shipping from McMaster)
Expense # 19 (front wheel balance) - April 26, 2012 - 47,002 - Total Cost $23.92 (including tax/fees)
Expense #20 (oil change) - April 29, 2012 - 47,238 - Total Cost $24.4716 (including tax)
Expense #21 (LCA Brackets from DMCMW) - May 2, 2012 - 47,461 - Total Cost $361.78 (including shipping)
Expense #22 (Shift Linkage) - May 5, 2012 - 47,640 - Total Cost $0.00
Expense #23 (Weather stripping glue, CB Radio, Cigarette Lighter, Fixed some rattles) - June 12, 2012 - 49,219 - Total Cost $2.50
Expense #24 (Filled coolant and replaced coolant tank cap) - June 14, 2012 - 49,920 - Total Cost $15.26
Expense #25 (Added washers and replaced LCA bolts) - June 16, 2012 - 49,930 - Total Cost $48.43
Expense #26 (Replaced ignition rotor) - July 13, 2012 - 51,256 - $11.98 (including tax)
Expense #27 (Oil Change and replaced distributor cap) - July 29, 2012 - 52,158 - $55.39 (including tax)
Expense #28 (r134a charge) - October 5, 2012 - 53,482 - $6.98 (including tax)
Its been a while since my last update. I still haven't gotten around to installing the third brake light but I am thinking about doing it this weekend.
On another note, 16510 has been out of service for about a month while its carburetor was on loan to another local owner. His new carburetor from Bill arrived at my house Wed night and I am currently borrowing it until we get around to swapping our stuff back. Hopefully we will be able to get together this weekend, but if not, then I will make the 800 mile drive to Lexington, NC next weekend sporting Drew's carburetor and manifold.
Since getting my car back on the road I noticed the AC was no longer blowing cold air. I've been driving since Wed night with no AC, and today after work I decided to take a look at in in the parking lot. I put the gauge on it, and fortunately there was still pressure in the system but it wasn't where it needed to be. I hooked up one 12oz can of r134a to my gauge and emptied a little over half of it into the system. The car now blows ice cold air again. Summer is almost over and this is the first time I had to top it off. I'd say $7 for one summer of AC is pretty dang good.
I need to mention that I did this in the parking lot of the chemical plant I work at. We've got all sorts of EPA people onsite, and no one came outside to arrest me.
Also, in case you are wondering, I stocked up on 12oz cans of r134a at Big Lots when they were on sale a few months back. The regular price at Big Lots is $8 for 12oz of r134a. There was a store wide sale of 20% off which brought the price down to $6.40 a can. With sales tax the price was $6.98. If I were to buy this stuff at Walmart it would be at least $10 a can and its at least $15 a can at AutoZone.
I didn't use the whole can, but for the purpose of this thread I will record the entire cost of what I opened.
Last edited by stevedmc; 10-05-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Total expenses to date: $916.6532 Miles Driven: 9,438
Expense #1 (Radiator Leak) - January 7, 2012 - 44,079 Miles - Total Cost: $117.83 (including tax)
Expense #2 (Radiator Leak) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $7.40 (including tax)
Expense #3 (Replaced windshield wipers) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $17.54 (including tax)
Expense #4 (Oil Change) - January 21, 2012 - 44,643 Miles - Total Cost: $24.4616 (including tax)
Expense #4 (Reinstalled steering column bushing) - January 22, 2012 - 44,693 - Total Cost: $1.35 (including tax)
Expense #5 (bought coolant and water) - February 20, 2012 - 45,000 - Total Cost: $11.88 (including tax)
Expense #6 (replaced rear interior light) - February 23, 2012 - 45,500 - Total Cost: $31 (no tax and free shipping courtesy of Farrar)
Expense #7 (replaced heater control valve) - March 4, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: $10.39 (including tax)
Expense #8 (bought more coolant/water) - March 7, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: 23.65 (including tax)
Expense #9 (glued rear view mirror to windshield) - March 16, 2012 - 45,772 - Total Cost: $1.57
Expense #10 (604 Manifold and Shipping to Captain Carburetor) - March 22, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $179.65
Expense #11 (7mm Helicoil Kit) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $49.25 (including tax)
Expense #12 (throttle cable) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $4.20ish (I lost my receipt)
Expense #13 (new wire connector) - April 14, 2012 - 46,123 - Total Cost: $0.25ish (part was laying around)
Expense/Deduction #14 (removed 604 manifold/carb) - April 15th, 2012 - 46,200 - Total Cost: -$179.65 (selling it)
Expense #15 (installed new crimp on throttle cable) - April 16th, 2012 - 46,220 - Total Cost : $1.51 (including tax)
Expense #16 (alignment) - April 21, 2012 - 46,700 - Total Cost: Free (I have a lifetime alignment plan)
Expense #17 (reinforced black lip of binnacle with black screw) - April 21, 2012 - 46,725 - Total Cost: $2.32 (including tax)
Expense # 18 (installed adjustable alternator bracket) - April 24, 2012 - 46,873 - Total Cost: $55.90 (including shipping from McMaster)
Expense # 19 (front wheel balance) - April 26, 2012 - 47,002 - Total Cost $23.92 (including tax/fees)
Expense #20 (oil change) - April 29, 2012 - 47,238 - Total Cost $24.4716 (including tax)
Expense #21 (LCA Brackets from DMCMW) - May 2, 2012 - 47,461 - Total Cost $361.78 (including shipping)
Expense #22 (Shift Linkage) - May 5, 2012 - 47,640 - Total Cost $0.00
Expense #23 (Weather stripping glue, CB Radio, Cigarette Lighter, Fixed some rattles) - June 12, 2012 - 49,219 - Total Cost $2.50
Expense #24 (Filled coolant and replaced coolant tank cap) - June 14, 2012 - 49,920 - Total Cost $15.26
Expense #25 (Added washers and replaced LCA bolts) - June 16, 2012 - 49,930 - Total Cost $48.43
Expense #26 (Replaced ignition rotor) - July 13, 2012 - 51,256 - $11.98 (including tax)
Expense #27 (Oil Change and replaced distributor cap) - July 29, 2012 - 52,158 - $55.39 (including tax)
Expense #28 (r134a charge) - October 5, 2012 - 53,482 - $6.98 (including tax)
Expense #19 (redneck cruise control bushing) - October 6, 2012 - 53,517 - $5.44 (including tax)
Today I am spending some time doing some final touches on my car before the 800 mile drive to Lexington, NC. One necessity is that I have cruise control. My cruise control consists of a bicycle gear selector connected to my stick shift that controls a bicycle cable connected directly to the throttle on my carburetor. I use a bushing to mount the bicycle gear selector to the stick shift. This bushing has been wearing out for a while now and today I decided to replace it. Unfortunately I had to purchase a set of 4 bushings at O'Reilly's to get what I needed. The total cost for the set was $4.99 before tax.
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 8,819
My VIN: 10757 1st place Concourse 1998
Rigging your throttle that way can be VERY dangerous. Just about every cruise control I know of has some provision where if you hit the brakes it will disengage the throttle hold. The way you did it, mechanically, there is no way you can do that. In an emergency situation you could very easily lose control. Never mind that it is also probably illegal to do it that way. The other problem is when you go up a hill the car will slow down and when you go down a hill it will speed up. Just because you are trying to do things inexpensively is no reason to compromise safety.
David Teitelbaum
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,388
My VIN: thirty two 'o five
Club(s): (PNDC)
Can Steve Rice post a picture of this potential catastrophe?
Dave
Here, somewhere.