FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: '82 DMC-12 assessment

My VIN:    4519

'82 DMC-12 assessment

New member here......my first post.

I'm planning to buy a DeLorean after becoming educated enough to make a well-informed decision, but I might have an opportunity for an '82 auto at a deep discount right now. I only have one pic from a friend who was driving by and I spoke to the owner last night. The car has been in storage since 2001 and had a tune up, brakes and window motors before going into storage. The car runs, but has [what he believes to be] an exhaust manifold gasket leak.

There are a few issues he mentioned: doors won't stay up, louver struts (broken?), headlights don't work unless on high-beam, rear speakers don't work, passenger window doesn't work, leather seats are "slightly" cracked, and the dash and/or binnacle is cracked.

Before storage it had the water pump & alternator replaced, window motors replaced, a tune-up, and pads/calipers/rotors replaced.

Any thoughts on what a low offer would be considering the info above? Also wondering what the cost of repairs would be -especially the exhaust manifold gasket.

Thanks for any input!

82 DeLorean.jpg

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum.

There's nowhere near enough information here to make any kind of a determination. Where are you located? It helps us to know because then a local owner can chime in and maybe come with you to check it out.

Some things you didn't mention:
    - Was it run at all since stored?
    - How was it stored? It is almost 99% certain that it was done incorrectly....
    - Condition of frame? Looks like it was parked outside on soft ground, so there could be some nasty surprises down there

I do see significant eyebrows on the fascia, but that's about it. It looks straight but again, you only provided one angle....

Have you read this thread? It's very important for someone in your situation. VERY important. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?37...ted%94-threads
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks!

Where are you located? It helps us to know because then a local owner can chime in and maybe come with you to check it out.
    NYS....the car is near Albany.

Was it run at all since stored?
    The owner said he ran it while stored, it came out of storage a few weeks ago.

Condition of frame? Looks like it was parked outside on soft ground, so there could be some nasty surprises down there.
    I think it has only been parked there since leaving storage a few weeks ago. The owner mentioned the frame was blasted & repainted back when it was on the road....not sure what to make of that.

Have you read this thread? It's very important for someone in your situation. VERY important. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?37...ted%94-threads
    I just took a quick look, but I'll read it thoroughly now....thanks!

Referring to the post about how much to expect to pay, I'm thinking the car might be a bit above the $11k - $13k range, but I sense I can buy it in the $5k - $10k range

What will you get for your money? In most cases, you will find the following true:

- $5k - $10k: a project car that has been sitting forever, MAYBE it starts, more than likely it doesn’t. MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, fuel system have to be done.
    - $11k - $13k: a project car that starts, moves. Can be made into a daily driver with some work. The list of MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, and fuel system may have been started.
    - $14k - $19k: a project car that has had some work done, starts and runs, drives, but needs work. A lot of daily driver D’s fall into this category. Higher side of this category are project cars that need work, but all the big things such as the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system have been mostly sorted out and updated. Body should be in good condition, some blemishes or minor work can be expected. Car can be driven with confidence for the most part, but some things are still being sorted out.

I really had no intention of a project car, but if I can get the car for well below its value, pay for the repairs and still be within range, I think that's worth looking into. Ultiimately, I'd sell it and get a manual-shift. Every once in a while a great deal pops up on just about everything.....this might be one of those times. I realize there is very little info, but it's what I have so far...I'll be working on getting more.

I plan to see the car this weekend, but I was intending to go with money-in-hand on Saturday. Again, I'm very early in my education, but I'm thinking there's a "too good to pass up" price on anything that runs, and has the body intact with a decent interior. (e.g. <$10K for a car in the $14k - $19k range.)

Thanks again for the input....much appreciated!

My VIN:    1710

The condition you're describing, I'd guess $9k-$12k tops. If you think you could get it for less, try. The electrical issues you mentioned are concerning. Get the relay compartment (behind the passenger seat underneath the parcel shelf carpet) opened up & inspect it before you fork over any money. Look for melted fuses/fuse blocks, wires, relays, etc. I'd also drive the car some, just to make sure it stays running... who knows, the guy could have cranked the car up just to move it out of a building, then parked it again... sucking all that gummed up fuel into the system. The auto trannys on these cars are very fickle beasts... make sure the car shifts normally, too. Watch the temperature gague, make sure the car runs cool. The exhaust leak will make the car sound like an old school bus, by the way... & will sap some performance. See if you can find a local owner to go inspect the car with you... this vehicle has the potential to be a money pit.
    Louie Golden

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Linkstate91 View Post
    Referring to the post about how much to expect to pay, I'm thinking the car might be a bit above the $11k - $13k range, but I sense I can buy it in the $5k - $10k range

I really had no intention of a project car, but if I can get the car for well below its value, pay for the repairs and still be within range, I think that's worth looking into. Ultiimately, I'd sell it and get a manual-shift. Every once in a while a great deal pops up on just about everything.....this might be one of those times. I realize there is very little info, but it's what I have so far...I'll be working on getting more.

I plan to see the car this weekend, but I was intending to go with money-in-hand on Saturday. Again, I'm very early in my education, but I'm thinking there's a "too good to pass up" price on anything that runs, and has the body intact with a decent interior. (e.g. <$10K for a car in the $14k - $19k range.)

Thanks again for the input....much appreciated!
    Based on what you said, I dunno if it counts as a restoration-started example - all those electrical gremlins indicate that the whole electrical system still needs an overhaul. That's a big job and can be expensive (not to mention time-consuming)

If the car was started and run infrequently over the past decade, you will probably have fuel issues to work out too. Another valuable link to check out. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?78...should-perform

See if any of that has been done to the car. If it hasn't, you're in for a long road and the price should reflect that fact. Just keep in mind that even a terribly stored, broken down, barely working DeLorean with tens of thousands of dollars worth of work to be done can (and often does) still look perfect on the outside.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    05457

If you are paying less than $10,000 for a car that is drivable, then it might very well be a good/great deal. Sounds like some frame work was done, likely for a reason. Make sure the frame isn't falling apart or that the paint or whatever they used isn't hiding a lot of rust.

There are plenty of owners in NY, if you can find one to go out to look at it with you that would be ideal. They will know what to look for and might also be able to help estimate the costs of fixing what needs to be done.

Just be sure you go in with your eyes open. A "too good to be true" price usually is and could leave you more frustrated and angry at the car than anything else when things start to break you weren't planning on. You will go over budget on repairs, so be ready for it.
    Last edited by DavidProehl; 11-21-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    3937

I'm planning to buy a DeLorean after becoming educated enough to make a well-informed decision...
    Then do just as you've said. Learn now and buy later. Patience and knowledge is far more important with these cars than just a dollar amount.

Also wondering what the cost of repairs would be -especially the exhaust manifold gasket.
    I had my exhaust manifold gaskets done a couple seasons ago. Parts kit was $100 from DMC. I had a mechanic do it as I chose to let someone with the right tools/life and expertise handle it. The advice I got from the community was budget 3-4 hours for the job and 1-2 extra hours for every stud you snap. I had this done together with a clean-up and reassembly of my entire ear axle, boots, grease, etc. and the total bill for labour and whatnot was about $900. I would guess $500 was the labour for the exhaust manifold gaskets (no studs snapped, but two spots had to be retapped from previous poor work).

doors won't stay up, louver struts (broken?)
    If you are only replacing struts, it is something you can do yourself and for say $100 tops for a strut kit for all 6 on the car. If there is something more significant to why the doors won't stay up, like a snapped torsion bar or bracket problem, it will be more expensive.

headlights don't work unless on high-beam, rear speakers don't work, passenger window doesn't work, leather seats are "slightly" cracked, and the dash and/or binnacle is cracked.
    Like others mentioned, too much guess work here. Surprises are not fun on DeLoreans. Opening Christmas presents in the morning as a kid, yes. Discovering why something is not working on your DeLorean, not so much.

A piece of advice I wished I listened to was to buy the best car you can find with the money you have available. You will read about the rule of $25k. A decent, running car will cost you $25k. Buy one for close to $25k and put maybe a thousand bucks or two into it. Buy one for $15k and put $10k or maybe $15k into it. Buy one for $5k or $10k and you might put $40k into it. Put more attention on how well it was stored and not whether it runs barely. There are some easy things on the car to fix if it was simply why the car won't start or run. If your frame is Swiss cheese or the fuse and relay area has a lot of creativity and melting going on in it, it will get expensive and frustrating. I know a friend or two who got to choose between his wife/family or the car after she put up with one of these cars out in the garage for a few years. If you say you aren't ready for a project, then stick with that assessment as it was likely accurate.

Headligghts could be a fuse problem, wiring short or mistake, can't say really. Rear speakers could be unplugged back there behind the panels, could be unplugged at the deck behind the centre console, the output on the deck could be shot or the speakers might not even still be in there. Assume the worst or most expensive way to correct these things and keep adding that up. If it is easier, like just plugging something back in, then it's a bonus. You may find some of these, but it won't be the majority.

Window motor could be shot, or disconnected, or the fuse/wiring, off it's track, switch could be the problem only. Seats and leather isn't terribly difficult, binnacles are more expensive and dashes are somewhere in between.

Before storage it had the water pump & alternator replaced, window motors replaced, a tune-up, and pads/calipers/rotors replaced.
    If it has been stored for 12 years, expect to need to rebuild the brakes. Pads, calipers, master cylinder, fluid, etc. It's not terribly difficult or expensive, but don't assume the rebuild job from 2001 is still good to go.

Folks say to add $1,000 for every year the car was stored to bring it back. Between parts, labour, yours or someone else's, $12,000 of work would be best case scenario I would guess.

Again, see above. Patience and learn first. If you don't want a project, don't buy one. It is hard to know what you are getting into ahead of time until it is too late. The too good to be true is often just that. I heard once someone say about stuff in life "that they missed the boat, or my train hasn't come in yet". Well, maybe it just wasn't your train. Don't be afraid to pass this one up. Sometimes you have to go with what the world around you is offering. This might be someone else's train and yours is still on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    The condition you're describing, I'd guess $9k-$12k tops. If you think you could get it for less, try. The electrical issues you mentioned are concerning. Get the relay compartment (behind the passenger seat underneath the parcel shelf carpet) opened up & inspect it before you fork over any money. Look for melted fuses/fuse blocks, wires, relays, etc. I'd also drive the car some, just to make sure it stays running... who knows, the guy could have cranked the car up just to move it out of a building, then parked it again... sucking all that gummed up fuel into the system. The auto trannys on these cars are very fickle beasts... make sure the car shifts normally, too. Watch the temperature gague, make sure the car runs cool. The exhaust leak will make the car sound like an old school bus, by the way... & will sap some performance. See if you can find a local owner to go inspect the car with you... this vehicle has the potential to be a money pit.
    Louie is right here. Try to answer/address/review these things here. I have an auto trans and while yes they are fickle beasts, once I understood why mine wasn't doing what I needed it to, it was about a $250 part and a couple hours labour to install. They have a shift computer that is known to have issues over time. Mine was no exception and I replaced it with a rebuilt one and never looked back. Caution though if an auto trans was continued to be driven on a bad shift computer governor, it can start to wear out parts and gears much more difficult to remedy than the circuit boards. I got lucky you could say that mine was only the electronics. Again, learn and observe first. Leave the cash at home.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    If you are paying less than $10,000 for a car that is drivable, then it might very well be a good/great deal. Sounds like some frame work was done, likely for a reason. Make sure the frame isn't falling apart or that the paint or whatever they used isn't hiding a lot of rust.
    Arguably the most important. Ensure the frame is okay. It too can be repaired or welded or replaced, but your project car just entered a new territory if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Just be sure you go in with your eyes open. A "too good to be true" price usually is and could leave you more frustrated and angry at the car than anything else when things start to break you weren't planning on. You will go over budget on repairs, so be ready for it.
    If you only read one suggestion, make it this one. Keep an open mind and have patience. And please don't put any value into whether the owner throws in a 'Save the Clock Tower" flyer Good luck.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

What you are describing is the typical condition of a non-runner. It will need everything including some of the things previously done. In it's present condition it is worth much less than $10,000. What matters most is the condition of the S/S panels, the frame, the interior, glass, and if it is complete. Expect to rebuild all of the systems during which time you will correct any problems you find. Also figure tires, battery, all fluids and filters, struts, door seals, etc. Make sure the Title is clean, the numbers match up and the mileage is correct.
    David Teitelbaum

Excellent responses...thanks!

From the input I have so far, it seems the best course will be to go take a good close look at the car -specifically the relay compartment & underneath. I'll take pics, digest & share the info and figure out if it's worth an offer. I'm very early in the education process, but I'll get there. I sense the owner has no sentimental attachment to the car and isn't passionate about DeLoreans in general. It also sounds like his wife wants it gone. I think he'll accept a low-
    ball offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Surprises are not fun on DeLoreans. Opening Christmas presents in the morning as a kid, yes. Discovering why something is not working on your DeLorean, not so much.
    Hahaha! -I love it......you should trademark that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    A piece of advice I wished I listened to was to buy the best car you can find with the money you have available. You will read about the rule of $25k.
    This is the direction I've been moving in until yesterday when a friend sent me a pic of this one. I'll be back on that train of thought if this '82 turns out to be a bad situation to get into. -Just don't want to pass on a great deal (i.e. every Kiss pinball machine is worth at least $300 if it's in one piece 'cause the glass costs more than that.)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast