FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 28 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    I never said carburetors are fail safe. What I am saying is there is a lot less to go wrong. My fuel system makes it possible for me to survive on my own. I don't need any special part that has to be ordered. I could have a complete fuel system failure including fuel pump, PVC valve, fuel filter, ripped fuel line, clogged jets, broken accelerator pump, etc. and still be able to get parts in any city big enough to have a parts store. Shoot, the carburetor itself could get zapped by aliens with a ray gun and I would still be able to get another carburetor locally. The only thing special about my fuel system is the intake manifold.
    Last edited by stevedmc; 08-14-2011 at 04:37 PM.

  2. #272
    User title. Soundkillr's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    1,027

    My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Ok steve thats great for you, and im sorry you had issues with kjet. For the record I have owned my car for 13 years and have only had one fuel issue. I dont care if a carb owner fills a fuel bowl every 15 feet it does not make a fuel problem less of problem. You dont directly say a carb is fail safe. You dont have to. Its apparent with snide comments bashing kjet in every other thread. Ive said it again, to each his own, but kjet is reliable, and to assume its garbage falls along the same assumption that carbs are outdated junk.

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    Ok steve thats great for you, and im sorry you had issues with kjet. For the record I have owned my car for 13 years and have only had one fuel issue. I dont care if a carb owner fills a fuel bowl every 15 feet it does not make a fuel problem less of problem. You dont directly say a carb is fail safe. You dont have to. Its apparent with snide comments bashing kjet in every other thread. Ive said it again, to each his own, but kjet is reliable, and to assume its garbage falls along the same assumption that carbs are outdated junk.
    I like turtles!

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Turtles aren't the issue -- it's cheese. I like cheese.

    Looks like it started to rain just in time for me to enjoy some fireworks.

    Apparently Airtex pumps are only assembled in the US. Parts themselves are made overseas (Bangladesh?). Airtex made the change about 4 years ago. I wonder if merely sticking already assembled pumps from bulk overseas shipments into individual resale boxes qualifies for a "Made in USA" sticker?

    I had excellent success with my first pump, which predated the manufacturing change. Had it not sucked up a piece of Hervey epoxy, I might very well still be using it today.

    The problem isn't carburetion in general, it's crappy foreign made fuel pumps in particular. Absolutely no one has had any problems with their Made in USA carburetors. Or their made in USA intake manifolds (especially now that I have a halfway decent welder and a welding jig). No one has had problems with their Made in Israel throttle cable ends. Or their made in USA air filter housings (lids proudly individually hand made in Laurinburg NC).

    The sun just came back, so I am going outside now. You all can continue to wallow in sophomoric and juvenile weenie waving without me. I make what I make. Care and attention to detail should be self evident. If you want a conversion, I will gladly make it for you (I may even drive to your house and help you install it, free of charge). Otherwise, there are plenty of vendors who deal in the stock setup who can meet your fuel delivery needs.

    Grow up.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  5. #275
    Nothing witty here lest it offend
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    990

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    You dont directly say a carb is fail safe. You dont have to. Its apparent with snide comments bashing kjet in every other thread.
    I, for one, am above such K-Jet bashing. Good day to you, sir! I SAID, GOOD DAY!



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on0W9pO2nwA

  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    I, for one, am above such K-Jet bashing. Good day to you, sir! I SAID, GOOD DAY!



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on0W9pO2nwA
    Thats almost a recreation of the lightning scene in BTTF I.

  7. #277
    User title. Soundkillr's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    1,027

    My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    I, for one, am above such K-Jet bashing. Good day to you, sir! I SAID, GOOD DAY!



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on0W9pO2nwA
    Eh, at least the kjet car showed up. I saw smoke in the background. Fire perhaps from an alternative fuel car?

  8. #278
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    Eh, at least the kjet car showed up. I saw smoke in the background. Fire perhaps from an alternative fuel car?
    That smoke was exhaust from the first couple of cars smoking the delorean.

  9. #279
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Lest anyone think that mechanical fuel pumps are all sweetness and sunshine, this is how I had to drive one of my Lincolns home when it got a hole/tear in its pump diaphragm:
    LincolnManualCarbFill.jpg
    (Engine is a high compression 460, so I traveled slightly less than a mile before the bottle had to be refilled -- it could only empty halfway before it dropped below the neck -- but on a more fuel efficient vehicle I would have traveled nearly two miles).

    Steve is correct that the carburetor itself does not need a fuel pump to properly deliver fuel into the engine. Most high winged aircraft don't even have a fuel pump -- gravity alone feeds their carbs.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  10. #280
    Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  atlanta, ga, usa, earth, sol, milky way

    Posts:    1,088

    My VIN:    2072

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Cross posted from another thread:

    Comparing a BTTF conversion to a carb conversion is either an attempt to be inflammatory, or simply displays significant lack of understanding.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    If you actually read the entire thing you'd quoted, you'd see that I was saying exactly that. Start with "If you'll excuse the hyperbole. I know a carb conversion is not nearly as invasive".

    I was on your side for once!

Page 28 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •