FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 41 of 77 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #401
    Tweedledumber DCUK Martin's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  DeLorean Cars, UK

    Posts:    593

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    European cars suck.
    Very few american cars sell outside of America, but plenty of european cars sell in America. I think you're xenophobic rather than having any real reason to say european cars suck. That and you're sore about the point that Europe is actually a much larger producer and consumer of cars than the US.

    BTW K-Jetronic was used in Europe extensively by Ford and I believe Vauxhall/Opel too (GM IOW).
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

  2. #402
    Tweedledumber DCUK Martin's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  DeLorean Cars, UK

    Posts:    593

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    North American K-Jet teeters on a knife edge of inoperablity. All it takes is one little variable to get out of whack, then the whole system falls down like a house of cards.

    That is why the General forum hosts a neverending supply of "my DeLorean won't start" threads, and why owners wonder why their DeLorean suddenly stopped running right when it was working perfectly fine yesterday.
    Thanks to you, a lot of people immediately jump to conclusions when "my car won't start" but often it's fuel pump or ignition related - something your carb'd engine has in common.

    K-Jet can't go wrong overnight unless there's crap in the system. It's that simple.

    The engine will run even if there's trouble with the lambda, cold start and idle systems. THESE ARE NOT PART OF THE INJECTION SYSTEM.

    And yes, I'm no fan of the lambda system either and bin it where I can. But if not "teetering on a knife edge" means running rich all the time, I'd prefer to set up engines to run at optimum as designed.

    If all 6 injectors are not spraying equally (sometimes not even spraying at all), then there is absolutely no way your car will ever run right.
    And your point is.....? you've just said something similar to "the car will never handle right if one of the tyres is flat."

    Carburetion may not be perfect, but it does at least have only one centralized point of fuel delivery.
    Yeah, it's simpler and worse.

    Anyway, I have no desire to engage in yet another K-Jet vs carburetion pissing match.
    Oh good, feel free not to reply to this post.

    No one can deny that there is a small group of owners who, for whatever reason unique to each, do not want K-Jet. Protestations that "K-Jet can be made to work" and exhortations to "learn to live with it" ring hollow in their ears. They don't want K-Jet -- period. They want a traditional North American carburetor. No one is denying that many owners seem to at least come to peace with K-Jet, and some actually like it, but carb users are not those owners. They are themselves. For a variety of reasons they want a carburetor. Those are the people I work with.
    Can you undertake to get involved with other discussions without your soap box then?
    Last edited by DCUK Martin; 09-05-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

  3. #403
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    K-Jet blows.

    Martin is a doo doo head.

    Steve is a rocket scientist.

    And I've just been contacted by another owner interested in converting to carburetion.

    Life goes on.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  4. #404
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Jim Edwards (Flyinglow) is missing his tank stud. If he ever rematerializes, and if he goes through with his planned carb conversion, he won't need any sort of baffle whatsoever.

    I only include baffles for other carb converters because I still need to eat.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    So you just drop a line down on the tank with a pick up screen on it?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  5. #405
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    No, I need to eat -- carb converters get the leftover containers (Farrar apparently needs to eat too -- he provided his own baffle).

    Fuel in the bowl has its own buffering effect. If the pump sucks air, the venturis will never know it unless the bowl runs dry. You've got slightly less than a mile at low RPM's before that happens.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  6. #406
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Fuel in the bowl has its own buffering effect. If the pump sucks air, the venturis will never know it unless the bowl runs dry. You've got slightly less than a mile at low RPM's before that happens.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Still though, no pickup screen?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  7. #407
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    PickupScreen.jpg

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  8. #408
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    I suppose that's a filter of some sort?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  9. #409
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    I like that Bill!

    Until I saw you "had to eat", I was going to suggest something similar to one of these fluid conducting swivel joints. (Check out the rotational torque rates p.27)

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I like that Bill!
    Ron just went down two points on the Suck-O-Meter.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Last edited by content22207; 09-05-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Page 41 of 77 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •