FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #571
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Bleh, diet? gotta go FULL Cheer!
    I'll tell you one thing- With Bill missing and talk of his spirit possessing Steve and his spirit possessing someone else, I am NOT drinking anything at Branch Dahlonega!!!

  2. #572
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I think I know what a lot of the problem is with carb pumps going out...we can check it out at the meet (I posted it some where before but no response).
    Whats the problem?

  3. #573
    Tweedledumber DCUK Martin's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  DeLorean Cars, UK

    Posts:    593

    The best thing anyone can do to make their car as reliable as possile is to understand it.

    Easy to say!

    I thought I'd post this link to a friend of mine in the Alpine club whose thread I read today. he's sunk umpteen thousands into restoring and modifying a GTA. It ain't just DeLorean owners who think their cars are cursed...

    http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.c...pic.php?t=5380

    (and I'd like to point out that Simon's avatar is the source of a long running joke)

    Oh, and the starter and alternator circuits are identical to the DeLorean's.
    Last edited by DCUK Martin; 10-20-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

  4. #574
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Whats the problem?
    I'm thinking (other than trash, electrical) you might be using the wrong pumps or pluming depending on the carb(s)...cycling running wide open or labored, or, mostly pumping through the internal by-pass valve...The ones I see posted around here might be being over worked since they aren't pressure regulated and run ~2 times the pressure required by the float's needle valve, most of the time. They never rest (they are not made to take it like todays internal pumps...diferent "style"). In the old days, we used to use AC adjustable pressure regulated rail mounted pumps or one matched to (slightly above) the float requirements on racers to pitch mechanical pumps and get rid of the drag... The floats needle valve's on-off pressure is not that tight which allows for even more rest time...
    Just a guess and food for thought...I'll see if I can dig up the post if you want or we can talk about it Saturday.
    Last edited by Ron; 10-20-2011 at 04:56 PM.

  5. #575
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    The best thing anyone can do to make their car as reliable as possile is to understand it.
    +1
    Reinventing the wheel has it's own problems, not to mention the dominoes made of worm cans that cross breading brings.

  6. #576
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'm thinking (other than trash, electrical) you might be using the wrong pumps or pluming depending on the carb(s)...cycling running wide open or labored, or, mostly pumping through the internal by-pass valve...The ones I see posted around here might be being over worked since they aren't pressure regulated and run ~2 times the pressure required by the float's needle valve, most of the time. They never rest (they are not made to take it like todays internal pumps...diferent "style"). In the old days, we used to use AC adjustable pressure regulated rail mounted pumps or one matched to (slightly above) the float requirements on racers to pitch mechanical pumps and get rid of the drag... The floats needle valve's on-off pressure is not that tight which allows for even more rest time...
    Just a guess and food for thought...I'll see if I can dig up the post if you want or we can talk about it Saturday.
    I was sort of thinking the pump I have might be too high of a psi pump, but Bill has installed pumps with these specs on many other cars without any problems. I'm not going to rule anything out, but like I said, it could just be a ground issue. We may or may not know the answer to this by the end of Saturday. If my pump fails then perhaps I need to look into a lower PSI pump. If my pump doesnt fail, then perhaps the direct ground connection resolved it. If it is ground related I will correctly fix it by eventually replacing the inertia switch and installing a full car ground bus.

  7. #577
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Do you know if they are locking down or ??? Ever open one up afterwords?
    Bill using the same plumming, carb (I guess I know that answer;-)

    This is where I don't say it would be easier to work out k-jet

  8. #578
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,603

    My VIN:    03572

    Maybe if you would leave the accumulator in when you go carb, it would ease the peak pressures in the pump. I never knew why Bill insisted on running a new line.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  9. #579
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Maybe if you would leave the accumulator in when you go carb, it would ease the peak pressures in the pump. I never knew why Bill insisted on running a new line.
    Worried about an accumulator full of fuel dumping in the engine or on the ground even when a "little" rollover breaks nothing...or #?Lbs? ;-)

  10. #580
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    I actually thought about installing a fuel pump meant for EFI (30 to 45 PSI) and then using an inline fuel pressure regulator to dial the pressure down to 6 PSI. You could probably use the stock fuel lines for this -- swap the regulator for the accumulator, perhaps? -- unless the regulator has a return line, in which case you'd have to mount it elsewhere. Some regulators have a return and some don't; I am not sure what might be required, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

    For what it's worth, I think running a fresh ground from the inertia switch would extend the lifespan of DeLorean fuel pumps.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •