FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 370

Thread: How to maintain your Delorean for less than $500 a year and put 10,000 miles on it

  1. #231
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Nah, I ain't mad at nobody. Incidentaly, do you need lodging at DCS? Right now I think its me, Bill, and Farrar, but there is still room for one more.
    Thanks for asking! but I promised Alex I would pile up with him if I can make it. (Coincidently, he is MIA...No email replies...he mentioned a possible trip overseas but never said he was going. I figured him back by now in any event???)

    Since you aren't mad at me (and some never quit), I guess I can poke you one more time about making the agent lady escort you at DCS, or pay your deductible.

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Thanks for asking! but I promised Alex I would pile up with him if I can make it. (Coincidently, he is MIA...No email replies...he mentioned a possible trip overseas but never said he was going. I figured him back by now in any event???)

    Since you aren't mad at me (and some never quit), I guess I can poke you one more time about making the agent lady escort you at DCS, or pay your deductible.
    Yeah buddy. I don't get mad at anyone. Even the binnacle guy.

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    I installed the Ed's LCA outriggers and wow, they are awesome. I can now drive on the interstate without my wheel vibrating. This is a sad thing to say but my Delorean now handles better than my Geo Metro.

    I'll update the total tomorrow. Its late and I'm ready for bed.

  4. #234
    Not a DeLorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rochester, NY

    Posts:    2,405

    My VIN:    01049

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I installed the Ed's LCA outriggers and wow, they are awesome. I can now drive on the interstate without my wheel vibrating. This is a sad thing to say but my Delorean now handles better than my Geo Metro.

    I'll update the total tomorrow. Its late and I'm ready for bed.
    How was the install? Straight forward?
    -Mike

    My engine twists my frame.

    1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Total expenses to date: $770.6732 Miles Driven: 3,382
    Expense #1 (Radiator Leak) - January 7, 2012 - 44,079 Miles - Total Cost: $117.83 (including tax)
    Expense #2 (Radiator Leak) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $7.40 (including tax)
    Expense #3 (Replaced windshield wipers) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $17.54 (including tax)
    Expense #4 (Oil Change) - January 21, 2012 - 44,643 Miles - Total Cost: $24.4616 (including tax)
    Expense #4 (Reinstalled steering column bushing) - January 22, 2012 - 44,693 - Total Cost: $1.35 (including tax)
    Expense #5 (bought coolant and water) - February 20, 2012 - 45,000 - Total Cost: $11.88 (including tax)
    Expense #6 (replaced rear interior light) - February 23, 2012 - 45,500 - Total Cost: $31 (no tax and free shipping courtesy of Farrar)
    Expense #7 (replaced heater control valve) - March 4, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: $10.39 (including tax)
    Expense #8 (bought more coolant/water) - March 7, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: 23.65 (including tax)
    Expense #9 (glued rear view mirror to windshield) - March 16, 2012 - 45,772 - Total Cost: $1.57
    Expense #10 (604 Manifold and Shipping to Captain Carburetor) - March 22, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $179.65
    Expense #11 (7mm Helicoil Kit) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $49.25 (including tax)
    Expense #12 (throttle cable) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $4.20ish (I lost my receipt)
    Expense #13 (new wire connector) - April 14, 2012 - 46,123 - Total Cost: $0.25ish (part was laying around)
    Expense/Deduction #14 (removed 604 manifold/carb) - April 15th, 2012 - 46,200 - Total Cost: -$179.65 (selling it)
    Expense #15 (installed new crimp on throttle cable) - April 16th, 2012 - 46,220 - Total Cost : $1.51 (including tax)
    Expense #16 (alignment) - April 21, 2012 - 46,700 - Total Cost: Free (I have a lifetime alignment plan)
    Expense #17 (reinforced black lip of binnacle with black screw) - April 21, 2012 - 46,725 - Total Cost: $2.32 (including tax)
    Expense # 18 (installed adjustable alternator bracket) - April 24, 2012 - 46,873 - Total Cost: $55.90 (including shipping from McMaster)
    Expense # 19 (front wheel balance) - April 26, 2012 - 47,002 - Total Cost $23.92 (including tax/fees)
    Expense #20 (oil change) - April 29, 2012 - 47,238 - Total Cost $24.4716 (including tax)
    Expense #21 (LCA Brackets from DMCMW) - April 2, 2012 - 47,461 - Total Cost $361.78 (including shipping)


    I finally gave in and installed a fancy set of Ed's LCA brackets. They are super nice and the car handles better than ever. So much for my budget. I'll keep updating this thread as I do stuff to the car though.

  6. #236
    Senior Member ccurzio's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Atlanta-ish

    Posts:    2,225

    My VIN:    5311

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Total expenses to date: $770.6732
    Impressive. How long did it take you to cut up those pennies?

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Impressive. How long did it take you to cut up those pennies?
    Not all of the expenses were necessary. If you want to maintain your delorean for less than $500 a year just cut out the uneccessary expenses.

  8. #238
    Senior Member ccurzio's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Atlanta-ish

    Posts:    2,225

    My VIN:    5311

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Not all of the expenses were necessary. If you want to maintain your delorean for less than $500 a year just cut out the uneccessary expenses.


    Joke





    Your Head

  9. #239
    Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Omaha, NE

    Posts:    1,755

    My VIN:    loading, please wait...

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Total expenses to date: $770.6732
    the scientist in me cringes at the sight of all those digits...



    glad to hear the LCA brackets are such an improvement!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Total expenses to date: $770.6732 Miles Driven: 3,561
    Expense #1 (Radiator Leak) - January 7, 2012 - 44,079 Miles - Total Cost: $117.83 (including tax)
    Expense #2 (Radiator Leak) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $7.40 (including tax)
    Expense #3 (Replaced windshield wipers) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $17.54 (including tax)
    Expense #4 (Oil Change) - January 21, 2012 - 44,643 Miles - Total Cost: $24.4616 (including tax)
    Expense #4 (Reinstalled steering column bushing) - January 22, 2012 - 44,693 - Total Cost: $1.35 (including tax)
    Expense #5 (bought coolant and water) - February 20, 2012 - 45,000 - Total Cost: $11.88 (including tax)
    Expense #6 (replaced rear interior light) - February 23, 2012 - 45,500 - Total Cost: $31 (no tax and free shipping courtesy of Farrar)
    Expense #7 (replaced heater control valve) - March 4, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: $10.39 (including tax)
    Expense #8 (bought more coolant/water) - March 7, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: 23.65 (including tax)
    Expense #9 (glued rear view mirror to windshield) - March 16, 2012 - 45,772 - Total Cost: $1.57
    Expense #10 (604 Manifold and Shipping to Captain Carburetor) - March 22, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $179.65
    Expense #11 (7mm Helicoil Kit) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $49.25 (including tax)
    Expense #12 (throttle cable) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $4.20ish (I lost my receipt)
    Expense #13 (new wire connector) - April 14, 2012 - 46,123 - Total Cost: $0.25ish (part was laying around)
    Expense/Deduction #14 (removed 604 manifold/carb) - April 15th, 2012 - 46,200 - Total Cost: -$179.65 (selling it)
    Expense #15 (installed new crimp on throttle cable) - April 16th, 2012 - 46,220 - Total Cost : $1.51 (including tax)
    Expense #16 (alignment) - April 21, 2012 - 46,700 - Total Cost: Free (I have a lifetime alignment plan)
    Expense #17 (reinforced black lip of binnacle with black screw) - April 21, 2012 - 46,725 - Total Cost: $2.32 (including tax)
    Expense # 18 (installed adjustable alternator bracket) - April 24, 2012 - 46,873 - Total Cost: $55.90 (including shipping from McMaster)
    Expense # 19 (front wheel balance) - April 26, 2012 - 47,002 - Total Cost $23.92 (including tax/fees)
    Expense #20 (oil change) - April 29, 2012 - 47,238 - Total Cost $24.4716 (including tax)
    Expense #21 (LCA Brackets from DMCMW) - May 2, 2012 - 47,461 - Total Cost $361.78 (including shipping)
    Expense #22 (Shift Linkage) - May 5, 2012 - 47,640 - Total Cost $0.00


    Two days ago my car started having trouble shifting into first and second gear. First I checked the transmission fluid and it was full. Next, upon Farrar and Martin's suggestion, I checked the shift linkage cable and determined it needed to be adjusted. I made the necessary adjustment, with the help of my lovely assistant, and the car is now shifting just fine. Total expense for this was zero dollars and zero cents. While I was under the car I also adjusted my Spax Shocks.

    On another note, I may not be making my drive to Delaware this as planned. Next month I will be working in Baltimore for a week and of course the company I work for is paying for the flight. I am planning to extend my stay a few days and visit Delaware and Pennsylvania while I am up there. I'll still make two long trips in the Delorean this year. Orlando will be next month and the second long trip is yet to be determined. Maybe I'll go hang out with Ron and Sean at one of their tech sessions.

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •