FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 370

Thread: How to maintain your Delorean for less than $500 a year and put 10,000 miles on it

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Angle drive has been holding up fine today. I suspect the problem is just a design defect with those plastic dust caps. I you ask me, the part where the angle drive shaft connects should be metal. Plastic becomes soft when exposed to heat/friction for extended amounts of time.

    My current mileage is 55,505 and my oil still looks good. I haven't added one drop of oil to my engine since my last oil change. I was thinking of doing an oil change in route but it looks so good right now that I'm not going to worry about it.


  2. #342
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    A properly jetted 1.08" venturi Motorcraft 2100 carburetor on a 2.85 liter PRV, especially combined with HEI, burns very clean -- oil lasts just as long as any other form of properly functioning fuel delivery.

  3. #343
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Safely made it home and the odometer now reads 55,722. It's time for an oil change so I decided to park in the grass.


  4. #344
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Safely made it home and the odometer now reads 55,722. It's time for an oil change so I decided to park in the grass.
    You dump your waste oil on the lawn?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You dump your waste oil on the lawn?
    Nope. I change oil in my back yard to prevent drips from getting on my driveway/carport.

    It's easier to clean dirt.


  6. #346
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    7,085

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You dump your waste oil on the lawn?
    Steve's hoping to be the next Bayou Billionaire
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

  7. #347
    Senior Member ccurzio's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Atlanta-ish

    Posts:    2,225

    My VIN:    5311

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Nope. I change oil in my back yard to prevent drips from getting on my driveway/carport.

    It's easier to clean dirt.
    Yeah, to hell with the water table.

    I'll take drips on my driveway over polluting my own yard any day.
    - Chris


    what

  8. #348
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Where does oil on your driveway go when it rains?

  9. #349
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,819

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    The plastic dust shield should not be a problem. It should not heat up from friction. If the metal core is turning in the dust shield it is because there is a problem "upstream" causing it to be hard to turn and eventually the plastic fails. reenforcing the dust shield only moves the "weak link" without fixing the problem. If you are having problems with the dust shield and you have a one piece cable, you probably have problems in the speedometer head or the angle drive. The other thing I have seen is that the inner core does not go deeply enough into the dust shield. If it is not deep enough it can turn in the square hole and round it out. Lubricate the angle drive and check the dust shield. Another thing I have seen is the whole dust shield is not captured tightly between the hub and the rim and it spins. Wrap the circumference with a little electrical tape.
    David Teitelbaum

  10. #350
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The plastic dust shield should not be a problem. It should not heat up from friction. If the metal core is turning in the dust shield it is because there is a problem "upstream" causing it to be hard to turn and eventually the plastic fails. reenforcing the dust shield only moves the "weak link" without fixing the problem. If you are having problems with the dust shield and you have a one piece cable, you probably have problems in the speedometer head or the angle drive. The other thing I have seen is that the inner core does not go deeply enough into the dust shield. If it is not deep enough it can turn in the square hole and round it out. Lubricate the angle drive and check the dust shield. Another thing I have seen is the whole dust shield is not captured tightly between the hub and the rim and it spins. Wrap the circumference with a little electrical tape.
    David Teitelbaum
    Steve Rice might not have a brain but Steve Rice is not stupid.

    1. Steve Rice noticed a small gap between the dust shield and the cable when he installed it. He put some platic wrap in the dust shield to help it seat better.

    2. Steve Rice disconnected the long speedometer cable and was going to grease it until he realized it was moving freely.

    3. Steve Rice has one of the new/improved John Hervey angle drives. Steve Rice talked to John Hervey on the phone before ordering it, and per John's instructions, his angle drives are never to be greased.

    4. Steve Rice has always wrapped the edge of his dust caps with electrical tape until this weekend. Steve Rice hasn't inspected his dust cap but he suspects the inside of it is slighty rounged out. Steve Rice will put some JB Weld in there if thats the case.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •