FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 176 of 193 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1751
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Used these boiler brushes to break free the loose rust inside the roof box.

    Vacuumed out the rust debris


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  2. #1752
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I emptied this whole can into the roof box.

    Well there's a leak area

    Called it a night. Driving the car with an 80# door just held up with a piece of lumber seems somewhat dangerous....


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  3. #1753
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,604

    My VIN:    03572

    Use some wood on those vice grip jaws. Or you can use a Jorgensen clamp. I use these many times for different clamping needs.

    https://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-Siz...3&sr=8-16&th=1
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  4. #1754
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Use some wood on those vice grip jaws. Or you can use a Jorgensen clamp. I use these many times for different clamping needs.

    https://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-Siz...3&sr=8-16&th=1
    Surprisingly the teeth on my visegrips matched up pretty well with the splines. I was just using the. For something to tap on with a hammer. I kept removing them and putting the splined plate back on to make sure I wasn't messing up the splines.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  5. #1755
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,546

    My VIN:    6125

    You can get stainless Phillips screws in black oxide from McMaster-Carr if you're going down the rabbit hole of replacing them all. I used these all over the front trunk area and random other places. Just measure the thread lengths on your old screws beforehand so you know how long to get. The regular mild steel black screws only hold up for so long before they start to get rusty.



    You can also get black stainless for all the screws on the exterior for the turn signal lenses, marker lights, tail lights, etc. but I think it's cheaper to buy one of the black stainless screw kits from one of the vendors rather than buy them all individually.

  6. #1756
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    You can get stainless Phillips screws in black oxide from McMaster-Carr if you're going down the rabbit hole of replacing them all. I used these all over the front trunk area and random other places. Just measure the thread lengths on your old screws beforehand so you know how long to get. The regular mild steel black screws only hold up for so long before they start to get rusty.



    You can also get black stainless for all the screws on the exterior for the turn signal lenses, marker lights, tail lights, etc. but I think it's cheaper to buy one of the black stainless screw kits from one of the vendors rather than buy them all individually.
    Yeah I already bought the black stainless exterior screws kit.
    I bought the plastic black screws for all of the cover panels in the fronk.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  7. #1757
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Well, the penitrating fluid must have done something over night.
    This morning I put the Allen socket in the torsion rod on my breaker bar and barely put any CCW pressure on it and "POP" it moved.
    It was a five minute fight of wiggling CCW/CW while pulling on the rod as hard as I could but eventually it came out.

    Now I can get in there better to clean, seal, and paint.

    I tested the rod with a magnet and it is magnetic so if they are S.S. it must not be pure. So should I be painting these with a light coat of paint or wipe down with oil?

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  8. #1758
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    It looks like I got the inside of the roofbox pretty well aside from the ceiling of it in some areas.

    https://youtu.be/QuCl05CjGw8?si=hadA17RGDmtEZTz-

    Next up is the 3M Body Cavity Wax.
    The paint is not fully dried yet though.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  9. #1759
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Worked on the car for an hour today.
    Drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes and put in aluminum rivets for some added insurance.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  10. #1760
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I removed the torsion rod so I could assess and pull out this rubber boot that the wires run it. I didn't like how it was shaped. I fed the wires out through the roof box.



    I found that the top side of the rubber piece is torn.
    Anyone know where I can get one of these? I am pretty sure they are NLA.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    I found a source for this NLA part. Yeah!!!

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Page 176 of 193 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •