FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD
www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
-
02-25-2026 08:58 PM
#1751
Senior Member
Used these boiler brushes to break free the loose rust inside the roof box.

Vacuumed out the rust debris

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
02-25-2026 09:02 PM
#1752
Senior Member
-
02-26-2026 06:34 AM
#1753
Senior Member
Use some wood on those vice grip jaws. Or you can use a Jorgensen clamp. I use these many times for different clamping needs.
https://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-Siz...3&sr=8-16&th=1
-
02-26-2026 06:58 AM
#1754
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
Bitsyncmaster
Surprisingly the teeth on my visegrips matched up pretty well with the splines. I was just using the. For something to tap on with a hammer. I kept removing them and putting the splined plate back on to make sure I wasn't messing up the splines.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
02-26-2026 09:51 AM
#1755
Guy with a DeLorean
You can get stainless Phillips screws in black oxide from McMaster-Carr if you're going down the rabbit hole of replacing them all. I used these all over the front trunk area and random other places. Just measure the thread lengths on your old screws beforehand so you know how long to get. The regular mild steel black screws only hold up for so long before they start to get rusty.

You can also get black stainless for all the screws on the exterior for the turn signal lenses, marker lights, tail lights, etc. but I think it's cheaper to buy one of the black stainless screw kits from one of the vendors rather than buy them all individually.
-
02-26-2026 09:53 AM
#1756
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
Mark D
You can get stainless Phillips screws in black oxide from McMaster-Carr if you're going down the rabbit hole of replacing them all. I used these all over the front trunk area and random other places. Just measure the thread lengths on your old screws beforehand so you know how long to get. The regular mild steel black screws only hold up for so long before they start to get rusty.
You can also get black stainless for all the screws on the exterior for the turn signal lenses, marker lights, tail lights, etc. but I think it's cheaper to buy one of the black stainless screw kits from one of the vendors rather than buy them all individually.
Yeah I already bought the black stainless exterior screws kit.
I bought the plastic black screws for all of the cover panels in the fronk.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
02-26-2026 10:00 AM
#1757
Senior Member
Well, the penitrating fluid must have done something over night.
This morning I put the Allen socket in the torsion rod on my breaker bar and barely put any CCW pressure on it and "POP" it moved.
It was a five minute fight of wiggling CCW/CW while pulling on the rod as hard as I could but eventually it came out.

Now I can get in there better to clean, seal, and paint.

I tested the rod with a magnet and it is magnetic so if they are S.S. it must not be pure. So should I be painting these with a light coat of paint or wipe down with oil?
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
02-26-2026 04:13 PM
#1758
Senior Member
It looks like I got the inside of the roofbox pretty well aside from the ceiling of it in some areas.
https://youtu.be/QuCl05CjGw8?si=hadA17RGDmtEZTz-
Next up is the 3M Body Cavity Wax.
The paint is not fully dried yet though.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
02-27-2026 04:41 PM
#1759
Senior Member
-
02-27-2026 04:44 PM
#1760
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
SupercoolBill
I removed the torsion rod so I could assess and pull out this rubber boot that the wires run it. I didn't like how it was shaped. I fed the wires out through the roof box.
I found that the top side of the rubber piece is torn.
Anyone know where I can get one of these? I am pretty sure they are NLA.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
I found a source for this NLA part. Yeah!!!
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules