FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 84

Thread: DMC stage 1 and stage 2 engine differences

  1. #31
    President, DeLorean Industries
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  CLE/PHX

    Posts:    2,613

    My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Now I'm going with one of each, so it'll be an interesting comparison.
    I"m excited to properly tweak your stage II platform when we swamp the power train into your new automatic car.

    Is it open knowledge about the power train for your five speed car we are building or is that under wraps still?

  2. #32
    DeLorean Owner Since 2006
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Waukesha, WI

    Posts:    1,181

    My VIN:    3676

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I"m excited to properly tweak your stage II platform when we swamp the power train into your new automatic car.

    Is it open knowledge about the power train for your five speed car we are building or is that under wraps still?
    Feel free to mention that one, however, an entire thread will need to be created when pictures are available, as that motor will be something special in and of itself.

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    37

    As I have been made aware of this thread I will say that when a car needs 10 things done to it and you only do 5, but one of them has to be a Stage II upgrade the rest of those items still need to be done or the car will not run for long.

    That said, any work done at DMC Florida I am 100% responsible for and will honor, cover and or redo the job if necessary for free.

    Tony Ierardi

  4. #34
    DeLorean Owner Since 2006
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Waukesha, WI

    Posts:    1,181

    My VIN:    3676

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    One thing I will say, negatively, about the Stage II is the Nology coil wiring. I think its useless and, as a result, leaves an unwanted component on the fiberglass. I also intend to remove the "Stage II" plaque from the engine, as it has resulted in more people asking me if my car is "one of those new ones they're building in Texas" and I don't care to explain that as often as it makes it necessary.

  5. #35
    Senior Member QuadcityDMC's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Moline,IL

    Posts:    135

    My VIN:    3390

    The hose kit is from DMC Europe- the main cooling hoses left and right off the pipes have the DMC logo printed upside down so you can't see it. They have changed the printing of it now.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Grover's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  New Jersey

    Posts:    293

    My VIN:    1494

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCFL Tony View Post
    As I have been made aware of this thread I will say that when a car needs 10 things done to it and you only do 5, but one of them has to be a Stage II upgrade the rest of those items still need to be done or the car will not run for long.

    That said, any work done at DMC Florida I am 100% responsible for and will honor, cover and or redo the job if necessary for free.

    Tony Ierardi
    +1..all issues should try to be resolved before bashing...thanks for the clarification Tony..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,819

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    A while back I helped a local owner out with his car. He was very lucky and not only got it cheap, it had recently got a Stage II engine! He didn't know anything about it and when he called DMCH to get some information on it James Espey offered to buy it from him for a lot more than he paid for it! Anyway it had been sitting for a while and the master cylinder was leaking so bad he couldn't drive it. After replacing it and driving the car it ran like sh-t. The motor had no power and a loud rapping noise from the left valve cover. It had only a few miles on it since it got the Stage II. I pulled the valve cover and the lifter for the front, left cylinder's intake valve adjuster had unscrewed itself and was laying on the cylinder head. I put it back together and adjusted it and checked the other valves which were OK. When DMCH built the engine they must have forgotten to tighten the adjuster. Anyway, once done the motor ran GREAT! I was very impressed with the performance and thought the Stage II label was a nice touch. IMHO if you have a Delorean with a blown motor a crate Stage II is worth considering. They did a great job creating the Stage II and can only imagine what the III will do! I would be careful doing it to an automatic, the transmission probably won't last very long with all of the additional power it has to handle.
    David Teitelbaum

  8. #38
    Canon20DFan
    Guest
    I had a Stage II with an automatic, I can tell you that it does not overwhelm the Peugot automatic transmission. I now have one of DPI's engine mods (ported, custom ceramic exhaust and new cams, I think) and it runs better than the Stage II ever did.

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    A while back I helped a local owner out with his car. He was very lucky and not only got it cheap, it had recently got a Stage II engine! He didn't know anything about it and when he called DMCH to get some information on it James Espey offered to buy it from him for a lot more than he paid for it! Anyway it had been sitting for a while and the master cylinder was leaking so bad he couldn't drive it. After replacing it and driving the car it ran like sh-t. The motor had no power and a loud rapping noise from the left valve cover. It had only a few miles on it since it got the Stage II. I pulled the valve cover and the lifter for the front, left cylinder's intake valve adjuster had unscrewed itself and was laying on the cylinder head. I put it back together and adjusted it and checked the other valves which were OK. When DMCH built the engine they must have forgotten to tighten the adjuster. Anyway, once done the motor ran GREAT! I was very impressed with the performance and thought the Stage II label was a nice touch. IMHO if you have a Delorean with a blown motor a crate Stage II is worth considering. They did a great job creating the Stage II and can only imagine what the III will do! I would be careful doing it to an automatic, the transmission probably won't last very long with all of the additional power it has to handle.
    David Teitelbaum

  9. #39
    Cock Monger thirdmanj's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    2,517

    Clarification

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCFL Tony View Post
    ...That said, any work done at DMC Florida I am 100% responsible for and will honor, cover and or redo the job if necessary for free.

    Tony Ierardi
    Apologies, I was not intending to "bash". I should clarify that in regards to the retaining nut that some how rattled off the front shock, a new one was shipped to me free of charge, and all I had to do was put it on, no damage. As for my door lock issue, a solution was never agreed upon by Ken and myself. However the car will be being brought to a very reputable mechanic next Monday, and troubleshooting the door locks will be on the list of "to do's". I can forward the invoice if you like.

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    37

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Apologies, I was not intending to "bash". I should clarify that in regards to the retaining nut that some how rattled off the front shock, a new one was shipped to me free of charge, and all I had to do was put it on, no damage. As for my door lock issue, a solution was never agreed upon by Ken and myself. However the car will be being brought to a very reputable mechanic next Monday, and troubleshooting the door locks will be on the list of "to do's". I can forward the invoice if you like.
    Our labor warranty is at our facility or any other DMC authorized facility.

    If the part is faulty, send it back I will will get you a new one free of charge.

    Thank you,
    Tony Ierardi

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •